Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Narcissism pt. 2

" The best way of fulfilling your own interest is to take care of others" - His Holiness The Dalai Lama

In my last post, The joy of narcissism, I touched on the happiness and warm fuzzys I receive when I am able to make people feel good through cooking but today I was able to be a part of something, that even though I didn't realize it at the time, multiplied that feeling tenfold.

At first when I was asked to give a demo/lecture on using marinades and seasoning blends to survivors of mouth and throat cancer, I was hesitant . Having had my mother go through the pain and problems associated with esophageal cancer, I really didn't want to bring up some of those memories.

As the lecture was only to be 30 minutes I agreed to do it and I am extremely glad I did. Having the survivors ask me questions on how to prepare food that they can not only swallow but enjoy, and then seeing their eyes light up when I was able to share my knowledge and skill to give them answers and ideas that will help improve their quality of life was, to quote the commercial, priceless.

I think helping these survivors not only made me feel a sense of well being, but I believe it also helped me understand to some extent what mom was going through and that gives me a sense of inner peace.

O.k. enough of the philosophical mumbo jumbo for a while. I promise my next post will be more food based
and less introspective.

Until next time, enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment