Sunday, October 14, 2012

The joy of narcissism

Ok I admit it - I am a narcissist. In my line of work you have to be. Not in a cocky, I am the best-the rest of you are shit kinda way but in the food service / hospitality sector you need to derive a certain self satisfaction from seeing the delight and gathering the praise from your customer.

In the past two weeks I have received a couple of compliments that, to me, were as good as winning any competition or monetary compensation.

Last Saturday I was asked to cater a wedding for some friends of ours that just going to be a buffet style menu for the couple, their respective families and a few friends. The menu was simple, roast pork loin, rosemary garlic potatoes, fresh green beans, salad and bread - a meal I can do in my sleep ( and probably have back in my hotel days). The meal went well and the bride and groom were both happy, I believe the groom went up to the buffet 3 times, but the highlight of the night was when the mother and father of the bride came up to tell me how good it was and the dad said " I don't know how you can make a dead pig taste so good"! Man, that is one of the best compliments I can remember.

The other event happened this Friday. My daughter's swim team was hosting the true team swim meet on Saturday ( they took third - way to go ladies!), and the tradition is that the captain's parents hold a pasta dinner the night before. Again the menu was very simple - tortellini, Alfredo and marinara sauces, Caesar salad and garlic bread - no biggie, but watching the girls eat and listening to them have fun really made me feel good.

Being a little narcissistic is not always a bad thing especially if you are getting self satisfaction from causing joy.

" Inner peace comes from taking other's interests to heart" - His Holiness, The Dali Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment