Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thoughts on hospitality and service with help from singing utensils


Hospitality - according to Dictionary.com
"The friendly reception and treatment of guests and strangers."
"The quality or disposition of receiving and treating of guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way."

As I was looking for background information about hospitality and service as it relates to the service industries(restaurants, lodging, retail, etc...), I came across many, many quotes that while inspirational, funny, or motivational, just didn't click with what I wanted to say.

quick aside - my two favorites were
Steven Wright- " I went to a restaurant that said breakfast anytime, so I ordered French toast during the Renaissance"
and
unattributed -" In the real world there is yes and no, in the service world there is yes and may I suggest something else?"

Then I remembered a clip from the Disney movie Beauty and the Beast, where Belle finally comes down to the dining room and most of the servants are so excited to be serving again that they risk the ire of the Beast just for the chance to give Belle a dining experience.

Those of you in the industry- Are you a Lumiere or a Cogsworth? Hopefully you are a candlestick and can make your customer's day a little brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment